The World that is Sand...

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

My shadow on shells and sand on Wrightsville Beach.
A friend of mine sent me a link today that I found very interesting.  Filmed at a TED convention, Gary Greenberg discusses the nano aspects of the world we see. Specifically, he goes into great detail of the world of sand, it's composition depending on it's environment, and shows the nano components in pictures.  For those who aren't familiar with TED, check out their website.  It is full of incredible inspirational videos by well known successful business giants full of ideas check TED out here.

I find Mr. Greenberg's discussion of sand formed by shells and decayed sea life most interesting.  He reveals pictures of the sand grain more closely, and you can see actual shells or pieces of shells. He refers to walking on the beach as "walking along biological and geological history; a record of the areas entire ecology."  Pretty cool stuff!  And, although technically what he says is completely understandable what he says is completely over my head, I can appreciate the beauty of sand and how flipping cool it is.  Not that I mind being sandy, I love love it, but now I have a new appreciation of it.  And, I hope you do too.  Check out the video (it's only 12 minutes - skip to the shell part if you don't have time to watch it all - it is a little like going back to school):


Shells and sand on Wrightsville Beach.

Shells more decomposed on Wrightsville Beach.


The beautiful nano details of our world - sometimes it's cool to think about what you enjoy in such detail.

Cheers!
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS