Shelling at Longboat Key, Florida

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I had the pleasure of visiting Longboat Key, Florida recently for a Bachelorette Party.  Fortunately for me, and the rest of the girls attending, these are the only photographs of the weekend I care to share.  I must say, what a pleasure it was shelling these beaches.  Albeit cold, it was extremely fruitful.  Longboat is easy to get to, either fly into Sarasota, FL or Tampa, FL (easy hour drive), and you will arrive.  


Longboat Key, FL


Cat Paws


Cat Paws

Fruition!

Florida Fighting Conchs (how cool is that name?)

Atlantic Bay Scallop (very tiny - my hands aren't THAT big)
 Dark Cerith - These are auger-shaped, much like the Eastern Auger's often found on North Carolina beaches.  They are heavier looking with beaded spiral lines and usually brown, gray, or white with brown beads.  They are also referred to as a Florida cerith or Florida horn shell, which isn't surprising since I found so many.
Dark Cerith's - they were everywhere and a nice change from the NC Auger!

Coral
 Calico Clams:  This picture may not show the smooth shiny surface that this clam shell has.  Shells are always more lovely on the beaches where they are found.  But, I love the design this shell creates - it's almost Aztec looking.  It is also called a checkerboard clam or spotted venus.
Calico Clams

Ravenel Scallop - This was one of my favorite finds because of the color and because of it's flat shape.  And, the fact that I have never found one.  Like all scallops, it is a bivalve, but one valve (lower) is cupped and the other valve (upper) is flat.  It's also smooth and found from North Carolina to the West Indies.
Ravenel Scaloop

 Florida Wormsnail - When I would find these in North Carolina, my first thoughts were shells at the beginning of a whelk creations.  I was wrong.  The whorls loose and coil without apparent direction and may become entangled with others.  This species is a filter feeder.

Florida Wormsnail

Rough Scallop - These scallops are different than the Atlantic Calico and Atlantic Bay because of the noticeably thinner body and more defined ribs.  I also like how the bow ties are more prominently defined and not as symmetrical.  The colors too seem to be the same throughout the shell, which for me is a fun change.

Rough Scallop

Rough Scallop

Spiny Papercockle (I think)

Painted Eggcockle
Florida Fighting Conch - Usually 4 1/2" each, most of the ones I found were around 3".  It's heavier shell with a brown exterior, although some have a design like the Calico Clam.  The meat is apparently very tasty - I didn't have any.  Hopefully, next trip!

Florida Fighting Conchs


Florida Fighting Conchs (babies)

Murex of some sort - I am not able to tell.
 Chestnut Turban - Also known as a knobby turban - rough on the outside and a joy to find, much like the above Murex.
Chestnut Turban

Gorgeous Scallop

Turkey Wing

Turkey Wing - inside

Goodbye Longboat Key, FL

I will have to explore much more of Florida's beaches for shells.  It was too much fun!

Cheers,
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS