Clam Marinara over Spaghetti

Friday, March 8, 2013


It's not secret that I love to hunt and gather for my food.  Ages ago, when you could bare getting out on the water, I had a quite success gather of clams, which have been in my freezer since.  And, with the depression still in full force, finding a economical and delicious dinner is always a goal of mine.  That's why I decided to make my marinara sauce and then add some clams to it, for an extra punch!  Both, are easy, and if you don't get your own food, you can get clams in the grocery store.

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 cloves of garlic (I used 7, but some people are sensitive to garlic)
  • 1 onion (diced)
  • 2 cans San Marzano diced tomatoes
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Oregano (or other spices preferred)
  • Clams 
  • Spaghetti (I prefer this pasta, but this sauce goes with any pasta preference)
Directions:
  • Heat pot on high heat and add Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Add garlic and cook until translucent
  • Add onions once garlic is translucent
  • Turn heat to medium to low
  • Add San Marzano diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and oregano
  • Simmer for a  few minutes on low
  • Dice clams and simmer on medium heat (you can add directly to sauce, but I find this a good time saver)
  • Combine clams in sauce and simmer for as long as you like
  • Cook Spaghetti when ready to eat
I would also like to pass along some tips about the ingredients and the cooking gear.  If you aren't familiar with San Marzano Tomatoes, you will find that they run $1-$1.50 more than other canned tomatoes.  BUT, they are so worth it.  It is amazing the difference in taste, and I can assure you once you start cooking and eating with San Marzano, you will not go back.  It's kind of like working out in lululemon clothes.  Or, cooking with Le Creuset.  If you don't like to cook, I can guarantee you will enjoy it if you are cooking with Le Creuset.  And, all of their pots and gear come in such fun colors!  Check out their products here or at Williams Sonoma.

 Let me know if you like this clam recipe.

Cheers,
Margaret






No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS