Hurricane Season can be the best!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Today I got to work on my business, which meant that I got to go shelling.  Masonboro Island is a gem of a barrier island, and ever since Beryl barreled through (witty joke I stole from Jim Cantore) Wednesday, I have been itching to check out the shells.  I headed out there mid day today- low tide was around 11 a.m. at Masonboro Inlet.

The sound side of Masonboro has great shells, but today I wanted to check out the ocean side.  I am so glad that I did.  It's interesting to see what a hurricane or tropical storm, depression, or sub-tropical storm will do.  (By the way, when did The Weather Channel start calling a tropical storm a sub-tropical storm.  I am sure it's legit, but anything that Jim Cantore tells me, I want to be incorrect so I can make fun of him).  It was obvious how Beryl's bands hit Masonboro.  All the shells were towards the north side of the beach - and it was a shell medley, sort of a shell landfill.  It was exciting!  My first shell was a sand dollar and my second, a perfectly whole conch.  Unfortunately, I did get there too late because many of the sea urchins and sand dollars were in pieces.  But, the key shells (technically Lettered Olives) were in abundance.  That is one strong shell.  Coral pieces, incomplete conchs, and baby's ears were also in abundance.

Take a look at my shell bounty!  And, remember to get out and shell after a storm, even before or after a full moon.  It's really an awesome experience to see what the ocean will produce, and each storm is different! 

Fruition


I love hurricane season for this reason, but I would like to follow up with a plea.  Please don't send Wrightsville Beach, Masonboro Island, Figure Eight Island, or Bald Head Island (and vicinity) a hurricane that is a Cat. 3 or higher.  Anything lower is appreciated and welcome.  Thanks in advance because I can tell this hurricane season is going to be a doozy!

Happy Shelling!
Margaret


No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS