Summer Essential: The Tomato Sandwich

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Summer!
It really isn't summer until you have your first tomato sandwich of the season.  And, we all know the rules of making and eating a tomato sandwich, don't we?


  • Tomato's must be peeled. (Easiest way is to boil water and drop tomato in for 20 seconds or so - skin comes right off).
  • You have to use white bread and Duke's Mayonnaise.  (It may be the only thing that I allow in my house with the name Duke on it).
  • Someone else has to make your sandwich.
  • Don't forget the salt and pepper - or, don't let the person making your sandwich forget the salt and pepper.
  • You can always have more than one.  Same rules apply.


Sunbeam is good white bread, but I am not too strict when it comes to the white bread.  Just make sure it's fresh, and please don't even think about toasting it.
Duke's - the only mayo that touches my tomato sandwich.


Holden Farms on 17 right near Holden Beach, has great produce.  Check out these green onions I picked up for $0.99 a bunch yesterday.  Holy Chernobyl.

These are green onions - and yes, bigger than my big toe.

I diced these up with an English Cucumber, added red wine vinegar, kosher salt, and pepper, and a splash of olive oil.  Great salad to compliment the tomato sandwich.  I don't have a picture of the tomato sandwich, I ate it too quickly.
Cucumber and onion salad.

I hope y'all enjoy a tomato sandwich soon, and here's to summer lasting forever!

Cheers!
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS