Little River and Bird Island Adventure

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Today was the perfect boat day, and because I am a self-employed entrepreneur - modern day hunter and gatherer with dreams of being a hermit, I could enjoy it.  On my new boat.  Well, it's my boat and the boyfriend's boat, but in essence, that means it's mine.

We took the boat down the Intracoastal Waterway through Little River, exploring the channels along the way to Little River Inlet, and the ocean, ending with a shell at Bird Island.  I haven't felt more like my true self in months than I did on that boat today.  And, that my friends, feels very good.

Bird Island is on the southern end of Sunset Beach, NC, and is a North Carolina Coastal Reserve and National Estuarine Research Reserve.  Basically, that means it's a undeveloped barrier island.  And, that puts it on my list for favorite places to visit and shell.

Bird Island was littered with broken sand dollars.  I managed to find some gems, and despite seeing so many broken ones, I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

Little River Waterfront from the Intracoastal Waterway
 
Shrimp Boat in Little River Inlet

Little River Buoy

Bird Island Crab hiding in the sand around the jetty

Bird Island Sand Dollar

Bird Island Sand Dollar

Bird Island Sand Dollar

Bird Island Sand Dollar

Bird Island Sea Oats
The weather is perfect for hunting and gathering.  I hope you can hunt and gather soon too!

Cheers,
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS