Sharks Teeth

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

When I was young, I remember sitting for hours on North Lumina carving sharks teeth out of the gravel.  I loved it.  But, I have never been one to find sharks teeth on the beach.  My theory behind it is that I didn't want to take the time to train my eyes to look for them.  They were so trained on sand dollars, sea urchins, scallops...etc; colorful shells that seemed to jump into my vision.

Yesterday, I decided to change that.  Not on purpose though.  I was pumped for a full moon low tide, but living on Ocean Drive in North Myrtle Beach doesn't really present itself as an ideal shelling spot in the heart of the summer.  There were so many people on the beach.

Ocean Drive Beach, SC

I ran into this character as I was walking north - he maybe 6 teeth and a tattoo on his left shoulder that said "MAD DOG".  We started chatting about shark's teeth.  He found a huge white great white shark tooth near the Cherry Grove pier.  He gave me a couple of the shark's teeth he found, and I then decided that I wanted to be like Mad Dog and be able to find sharks teeth too!  It took a while to get in the groove.  That must be why too, my back is killing me this morning.  You really have to get down on the sand and look.  And, some of the sharks teeth may not be sharks teeth, which can make the search frustrating.  But, I did find a few that without a doubt are from that terror of an animal we all fear at some point swimming in the ocean.

Mako Shark Tooth (I think).

I took multiple pictures of the following Great White Shark Tooth - I am mildly obsessed with it.  Even though it's from a Great White, it is quite small.

Great White Shark Tooth.

The tip of the tooth is dented.  Wonder what caused that?

Back of the tooth - look at the ridges along the sides.  Cool!

Various Sharks Teeth


That was fun.  Can't wait to find more.  Just what I need - another thing to hoard.  

Cheers!
Margaret


1 comment:

  1. Cool site and great photos, Miss Margaret. I've hunted sharks' teeth all along the Grand Strand since 1969. Check out my collection at dharmabeachbum.com/ I've found 62,000 of them so far, and gave away 26,000 of them. I only keep the better ones any more. Living in Myrtle Beach for ten years now and the hunting is good down this way, especially on either side of the 2nd Avenue pier. My non-profit blog is largely about nature, but I also dabble in some satire when discussing local politics. The good ol' boy network is alive and well here.

    ReplyDelete

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS