Wedge Piddock

Monday, July 8, 2013

After Tropical Storm Andrea, I found a shell that I have never found before.  I tried going online to discover what this strange bivalve was, but not until I located my book, Seashells of North Carolina, did I identify these strange shells as wedge piddocks, also called a wedge-shaped martesia.

Wedge Piddocks are small boring clams that live burrowed in submerged driftwood.

Or, maybe a submerged old boat sponge.

They are a little bit on the creepy side when you find them alive.  Here, attached to a piece of Styrofoam...



I recommend having a shell book of your own.  The image of the book below is the book I own, and if you live in North Carolina or surrounding state beaches, it will prove beneficial.  You can get your copy here.


Glad the mystery is solved.  Happy Shelling!

Cheers,
Margaret




No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin
 
TEMPLATE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS